The Sailboat Palani

Plugging Holes

I’ve been taking care of a bunch of small projects around the boat. I’m still waiting on the insurance company to submit an offer to settle for the damage done 2 months ago. It’s been a long and frustrating process as patience isn’t one of my virtues.  Once the insurance payoff happens, I have to move the boat about 4 hours up the coast to the boatyard that will do the work. I don’t want to get started on a major project and have the boat in an unmoveable condition when I finally have to get it fixed. So I’ve been stockpiling parts and tools for the list of major projects I’ll get started on after the boat is sailable again.

Since we changed the sail plan from a cutter to a sloop set up, were a lot of hardware items on the deck that were eliminated. Also, I’ve removed the lifelines and their stanchions from the deck. All these items require that I seal up the holes through the deck so that water stays out. I’ve been learning about epoxy and experimenting. There was a section of the ceiling over that navigation station that had delaminated. As this was a non-structural section I’m using it as a tool to learn and practice with fiberglass.

This week I’ll also be replacing the last two halyards, leaving only the mainsheet as old running rigging. I’ll change that out when I move the main sheet traveler from the stern to above the coach room, as it will change the length of the line.

Daniel Wedeking

Add comment

Flickr

  • Sunset Silhouette
  • Night Heron
  • Sunset Silhouette
  • Night Heron
  • Brown Pelican
  • Pelican Sunrise
  • Double Crested Cormorant
  • Classic Plastic
  • Beach Marine

Follow Me

Follow Me

Photos On Flikr

  • Double Crested Cormorant
  • Brown Pelican
  • Pelican Sunrise
  • Sunset Silhouette
  • Classic Plastic
  • Night Heron
  • Night Heron
  • Beach Marine
  • Sunset Silhouette